Thursday, May 8, 2014

Great expectations.

Alright, y'all.... We. are. adopting!!


The more I say it, the more real it becomes. The more I consider the idea of bringing a baby home to keep and raise and love... the more real it becomes. Now, the further we get into the process (ahem, paperwork), the more it seems like this thing may never happen. But the fact remains: we are adopting. And with that fact comes a slew of emotions: excitement, fear, anticipation, hope… And with that fact also comes a lot of history as well – a lot of background. So, to keep you in the loop (and to fulfill one of the requirements of our adoption agency), I’ve started this blog.

I’ve never been a very good liar. The biggest lie I remember telling was on New Year’s Day in 9th grade. “No mom, I didn’t go to that party last night.” My attempted deception lasted a whopping five minutes. Almost immediately, I trudged back to the living room - heart pounding, eyes welling, lip quivering... I told my mother the truth, though she probably already knew I was lying, and that look of disappointment in her eyes was more than enough to keep me from telling any more tall tales. To her or to anyone, really.

So, when I come to this place to write, you can bet I’m being honest. Minus those saccharine social graces that any good Southern woman has studied (though I admittedly haven’t mastered), I pretty much wear my heart on my sleeve. And the Lord happened to give me a heart that feels. A lot. And often. So this is my official disclaimer: What I write here will probably have a lot to with how I feel. And my thoughts and feelings might concern you or even offend you. But to divorce those feelings from the facts would undermine this blog’s intention – to give you an accurate idea of what we’re going through. To keep you informed. To give you a few ways to pray for us – and even support us if you so choose.

I do intend to give you factual updates about our adoption progress. In fact, my next post should catch you up to speed, so stay tuned for more details. While David loooooooooves to write (wink wink), for the most part, you'll be hearing from me. And just FYI - I've disabled comments. I love y'all, but if you want to tell me that we're crazy - or even if you want to tell me that we're awesome - I'm gonna need you to do that in private. For now, know that we are grateful to the Lord for the story He’s given us. We hope you enjoy reading it along with us.

Eeeeeek!